Give the gift of time
The more than 400 volunteers that provide support to our patients, families and staff are a very valuable part of St. Mary’s interprofessional team. Our volunteers provide service in over 35 areas, both in hospital and in external fundraising. Our volunteers contribute over 38,000 hours of volunteer service on an annual basis.
We are looking for individuals whose personal values complement those of the organization who are positive, caring, sensitive, energetic, and customer focused.
Our volunteers provide service in patient care areas, retail and fundraising. Your volunteer service will depend on your area of interest, your time availability and the availability of the service.
The Foundation is committed to support the mission of St. Mary’s General Hospital to provide quality health care in our community. We achieve this by:
- Providing supplementary patient services;
- Providing financial support for capital projects.
What is required to volunteer?
- Volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years of age and be committed to volunteering once per week for approximately 3 hours per shift, for at least a year.
- All volunteer candidates must complete a volunteer application form and return it to the address below.
- You must provide the name, address and phone number of two references. The two references will be contacted by phone or will be sent a form to complete and return.
- Potential volunteers will be contacted following the completion of the volunteer application form. At that time an interview will be arranged.
- At the interview, services are discussed and the skills and interests of the potential volunteer.
- General Orientations take place once per month and are attended only after the initial interview.
- A health review will take place after the interview. This is done through our Occupational Health Department which includes a 2 step TB skin test and possibly a blood test. This can take up to a month to complete.
- All volunteers must provide a current Criminal Reference Check (Police Check) at the general orientation. The initial cost is to be covered by the volunteer and after 15 hours of recorded service will be reimbursed by the hospital. Your volunteer service will not commence until the T. B. skin test and Criminal Reference Check have been completed.
- All volunteers are given a picture ID badge and a volunteer jacket. There is a $10 donation to the Volunteer Association for the jacket. Volunteers are responsible for the care and maintenance of their uniform and both ID badge and jacket must be returned upon termination of their volunteer services.
There are occasions when a match of potential and a service cannot be made and the individual is referred to another agency or to the Volunteer Action Center.
Click here to download the volunteer application form. Please mail the completed form to:
Manager, Volunteer Resources
St. Mary’s General Hospital
911 Queen’s Blvd.,
Kitchener, ON N2M 1B2